A TOPOGRAPHICAL DISCRIPTION AND BREEFE RELATION OF THE MANNOR OF SHELVE IN THE COUNTY OF SALOPE
being parte of the possessions of the Right Worshipfull Sir Henry Lingen, Knight
Surveyor: Francis ALLEN
Size: 740 mm x 670 mm. Scale: 1 cm = c40 m
Shropshire Archives ref: 1037/1/204
This 17th century map lacks the finesse of the fine engraving that is typical of estate maps made a hundred years later, but the scale allows the depiction of much detail, helped by the use of strong colours. The map has an ornate border, the title in an elaborate frame, a 16-point compass and the scale bar decorated with a pair of draftsman’s dividers.
The manor is divided into six major areas, outlined with greens and reds. These are divided into large fields, each with its name, such as Broome Field, Gorsey Leasow and Parson’s Furlong. Some of the small enclosed fields are also named as such, for example Newe Inclosier. The field boundaries are shown with occasional trees and each field has its size in acres, rods and perches. Footpaths are indicated by a pecked line and the roads are tinted brown and have symbols to show if they are hedged or open. The village of Shelve is depicted as a widening of the roads to form a circle, in which the church and cottages are shown in profile and tinted red. Shelve Mill is located near the southern edge of the map and Shelve Common lies to the west. Around the outer boundary of the manor are the names of neighbouring landowners.