A survey of the Manor and Parish of Onnybury in the Counry of Salop

A survey of the manor and parish of Onnibury

A SURVEY OF THE MANOR AND PARISH OF ONNYBURY IN THE COUNTY OF SALOP

and also the several farms and lands therein, belonging to the Right Honourable William, Lord Craven (Map 11)

1772

Surveyor and Cartographer: Matthias BAKER
Size: 460 mm x 410 mm (a double page in a bound survey). Scale: not given, but large enough to show small fields.
SA ref: 6001/2480

This is an exquisite map, finely engraved and hand-tinted using a wide palette of colours to indicate the division of the property between different tenants. In each township (Wootton and Walton) every field and plot is numbered. The accompanying schedules take each tenant in turn and detail the names and acreages of each of their fields, the price and yearly value. Free land, glebe land and common land are also listed. The buildings in the villages and hamlets are shown in plan and outlying cottages, public houses and blacksmiths are named. Roads are yellow and include a section of the Shrewsbury-Ludlow turnpike. The River Onny and its tributary streams, mill races and dams are clearly shown in blue. Although no physical relief is depicted, the varied nature of the landscape is revealed through the field sizes and names. Onnybury Field in the north still has strips, each individually numbered as separate plots, but with no fences.

Back to estate and property maps

Comments are closed.