Map of the Parish of Baschurch in the County of Salop

MAP OF THE PARISH OF BASCHURCH IN THE COUNTY OF SALOP

1794

Surveyor: A DAVES
Size: 930 mm x 800 mm. Scale: 1 inch = 12 chains
Shropshire Archives ref: P22/L/1/1

This large and detailed map, on velum, shows the 13 townships in the parish of Baschurch, their boundaries picked out with different colours. Accompanying documents show that it was commissioned by the Church Wardens and Overseers of the Parish and specially surveyed for poor law administration. The field boundaries are depicted and each plot is identified by a letter and number. The accompanying book has one section giving the acreage of each plot and a second the valuation.

The extent of the villages and hamlets in the parish can be seen from the road layout and the buildings, which are coloured red. In a map of this type which details property ownership, the use made of the land is important. Land in non-agricultural use, such as woodland, parkland and common land is shown distinctly and the acreage of the commons is given on the map. A list of the townships with their acreage is in a reference box in the corner of the map. Neighbouring parishes are labelled.

Back to parish maps

Comments are closed.