Survey of the Estate of John Denston Esquire at Grafton

A survey of Grafton

SURVEY OF THE ESTATE OF JOHN DENSTON ESQUIRE AT GRAFTON

in the Parish of Fitz, County of Salop

1800

Cartographer: William HITCHCOCK Junior
Size: the map is bound into a book, 300 mm x 210 mm. Scale: 1 cm = c70 m
Shropshire Archives ref: 4021/1

This map of the Farm at Grafton is one of several included in this bound volume. It is finely engraved with a light source in the west, so that trees, whether in hedges, woods or orchards, have a shadow to the right. The map has been carefully designed, with a title, elaborate cartouche, a detailed key to the symbols and a picture of two gentlemen out shooting. As with most maps prepared for estate management, the field boundaries are clearly delineated and each plot is numbered. The accompanying schedules provide the names of the fields, their size and whether they were arable, meadow or pasture. Orchards, gardens, ponds and woods are also depicted. The scale of the map allows the layout of the farm buildings, including barns etc, to be shown. Buildings are coloured in red and these include part of Grafton village as well as a hamlet with a forge and two cottages in the north of the map. In the south of the map is the River Perry, with its millpond and mill. Around the edge of the property, the neighbouring landowners are named.

Back to estate and property maps

Comments are closed.