PLAN OF THE MANOR OF KETLEY IN THE PARISHES OF WELLINGTON AND WOMBRIDGE
in the County of Salop, the property of His Grace the Duke of Sutherland
Surveyor / Cartographer: unknown
Size: 1000 mm x 1115 mm. Scale: 1 cm = c24 m
Shropshire Archives ref: 972/7/1/39
This large and detailed map is finely engraved and stretches from the Holyhead Road in the north (the boundary with the township of Hadley) to Lawley Bank in the south. It is a basic black and white map, with colours only used occasionally as in the 8-point compass or for roads, which are tinted yellow. It must have been made for administrative purposes, since every field, plot and pond is numbered and presumably described in accompanying schedules as part of the Sutherland Papers. The course of the Ketley Brook is clearly shown, as are the pools and reservoirs connected with the forges and the Ketley Canal. Industrial buildings are cross-hatched to differentiate them from other buildings and public houses, such as The Stars and Wheatsheaf, are named. Footpaths are depicted and the layout of the pleasure gardens at Ketley Hall and Bank House are detailed. The surveyor did not use contours or hachuring to depict physical relief, so that the mining pit heaps are not shown, though the quarry at Red Lake is marked.