PLAN OF WELLINGTON
Undated (circa 1840)
Cartographer: John WOOD
Size: 420 mm x 420 mm. Scale: 1 inch = 3 chains.
Shropshire Archives Ref: 332/1
John Wood is best known for his 50 plans of Scottish towns, most of which were published in his Town Atlas of Scotland in 1828. But he also spent long periods surveying English and Welsh towns in the late 1820s and 1830s. In Shropshire Archives we also have copies of his maps of Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Wem, Ellesmere and Ludlow.
Wood’s maps are particularly useful because not only are the streets labelled but he also named property owners. The large scale of the maps allowed him to name churches and chapels, prisons, schools and other public buildings. Individual houses and terraced rows are depicted and many buildings and plots are labelled with their function, such as foundry, tannery, wood yard, bowling green or gas works. Some pubs, such as the Odd Fellows Arms, the Dolphin and the Park Inn are named. Information is also provided on land use such as plant nurseries, orchards and detached gardens, the precursors of allotments.