LANDS IN THE PARISHES OF WORFIELD, CLAVERLEY, ST MARY MAGDELENE, BRIDGNORTH AND QUATFORD.
Map A, WORFIELD
Commissioners: Valentine VICKERS, W. CALLOW and William JELLICOE
Size: 600 mm x 750 mm. Scale: not given, but the map is large enough to show individual cottages
Shropshire Archives ref: QE/1/2/29
This map is one of the documents for an Enclosure Award, granted by Act of Parliament in 1806. In Shropshire Archives it lies in the Quarter Session collection, since documents based on Acts of Parliament had to be deposited with the Clerk of the Peace for the county. It depicts the parish stretching northwards from the River Severn, but no village or church is shown. The surveying appears accurate and the cartography is very fine. The parish boundary is depicted as a green line and adjoining parishes are labelled. The proposed new field boundaries are shown and each field is given a number, as also are cottages and gardens, small paddocks and cottage enclosures. Individual fields are tinted with pastel colours, in mauves, pinks, greens and yellows. In the accompanying hand-written documents the fields are scheduled as ‘allotments’ and are listed in numerical order with the name of the proposed owner. The system of roads is classified into public carriage ways, private carriage ways, occupation roads, public bridle roads and footpaths. They are divided into sections which are labelled with capital letters. In the schedules they are described in detail, the widths are given and instructions on how they would be maintained. Other than the river, no physical relief is depicted, though the Forest of Morfe is shown as wasteland.