MAP OF SHREWSBURY: WATER PIPES AND SEWERS
Surveyor/Printer: DAY and Son, Lithographers to the Queen
Size: 600 mm x 760 mm. Scale: given in chains 10 cm = 6 chains
Shropshire Archives ref: PL2/12/3/2
This map is from the Poor Law collection, in the section on the Shrewsbury Poor Law Incorporation; it was included with miscellaneous papers from the clerk’s correspondence. It is a simple and large street map of central Shrewsbury, with small extensions to Castle Foregate, Frankwell and Coleham. The river meander, important since all sewers lead into it, is tinted blue. The streets are clearly depicted in black, but the ones where there are no pipes or sewers are faded out. Important streets are named, as are smaller roads and shuts, such as Grope Lane and Carnarvon Lane, if they contain pipes or sewers. The Cattle Market has a sewage pipe around the perimeter, complete with three tanks. The major buildings, such as the water works, gaol, churches, town hall and station are named, but the Victorian Market Hall is not shown, suggesting that this map dates from before 1869.