Reuben Rambler’s Travels through the Counties of England and Wales
Cartographer: R. MILLER. Publisher: Darton and Clark
Size: 150 mm x 180 mm; actual map 70 mm x 100 mm
Shropshire Archives ref: 8077/18 and copy at CM/1/68
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 539
This map was published as part of a children’s atlas, named after an invented character. The small central maps had first been issued in 1821 in Miller’s New Miniature Atlas. In this new work for children, they were little changed except for the addition of railways and a coloured pictorial border.
All information finishes at the county boundary, except for the names of adjacent counties. Hills are not shown and rivers are depicted by single wriggly lines. Market towns and villages are named and several estates of landed gentry are depicted. However, a more important function of the map is to illustrate transport. Railways had not been built yet in Shropshire, but the principal highways and cross roads are clearly delineated and the canals are shown by a single line. Despite its small size, the map provides a clear picture. The wide border is embellished with 6 pictures designed to give children an overview of the relief (the Wrekin), farming (rural scene with cows), the history (Ludlow Castle and the Battle of Shrewsbury), industry (iron works) and mining (a coal pit).
Back to county maps
Map of Shropshire, 1808
MAP OF SHROPSHIRE.
To the Right Honourable Edward Earl of Powys Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of the Counties of Salop and Montgomery this map of Shropshire is humbly and respectfully dedicated
Cartographer: Robert BAUGH
Size: 9 sheets, each 457 mm x 457 mm. Scale: approx. 1” inch = 1 mile.
Shropshire Archives ref: CM/2/40/1
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 331
The section illustrated here includes Oswestry and Ellesmere.
Baugh was an engraver and map-maker from Montgomeryshire, who was awarded a prize by the Royal Society of Arts for this map, which was an early example of vertical mapping. It contains a large amount of information and must have been invaluable for local authority and church administration.
The county boundary is bold, marked by dots and dashes, the hundreds’ boundaries are pecked. The diocese boundaries are depicted as ooooo. The relief is shown by hachuring, with a south-east light source, so that valleys and ridges can be clearly differentiated. Rivers and streams are drawn with differing widths and the scale allows ample room for labels. Settlements are graded from farmhouses (marked with a square dot) through villages (marked with separate signs for rectories, vicarages and chapels) to towns with a mapped layout. Castles, abbeys, coal-pits and limekilns are named. Roads are shown by parallel lines; turnpikes are differentiated by one bold side and milestones and tollgates are also marked. Canals are shown as solid lines, with locks and named inclined planes. Gentlemen’s residences are depicted as are the estate boundaries.
Back to county maps
From London to Shrewsbury, continued to Welshpool, commencing at Meriden.
FROM LONDON TO SHREWSBURY,
continued to Welshpool, commencing at Meriden, Plate 22
Publishers: Robert SAYER and John BENNETT
Size: 200 mm x 150 mm. Scale: 1 inch = 2 miles
Shropshire Archives ref: SA 8077
Sayer and Bennett were London map and print publishers, who acquired plates from other printers. In this case the original surveying was done by John Ogilby, who published Britannia, a road atlas of England and Wales, in 1675 in the form of strip maps. Our map is a redrawn and updated version, depicting a route in the form of 7 vertical strips. It enters Shropshire near Claverley and proceeds through Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock to Shrewsbury and then on to Welshpool. To follow the route, you start at the bottom left and work up each strip in turn.
Hilly areas are depicted in profile, with roads superimposed when passing through them. Rivers are clear blue lines. These maps were produced for coach travellers, based on particular routes, so roads were the most important feature, clearly drawn and coloured yellow. Solid black edges denote that they were lined with hedges and broken lines denote open land. Junctions are shown with the names of adjacent towns with the distance in miles. Distances from London are provided, broken down further into furlongs marked by dots. Nearby villages are named and other features visible from the road are depicted by symbols: mansion houses, castles, churches, mills and beacons.
Back to county maps
An Accurate Map of Shropshire
AN ACCURATE MAP OF SHROPSHIRE
divided into its hundreds drawn and compiled from the most approved maps and surveys and illustrated with various additional improvements also, historical extracts relative to trade, manufacture, natural history etc. not extant in any other map of this county
Cartographer: Emanuel BOWEN
Size: 508 mm x 762 mm. Scale: 1 inch = 2.9 miles
Shropshire Archives ref: CM/2/7
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 250
This map is taken from The Large English Atlas, published 1750-52 by E. Bowen and T. Kitchin, which was reprinted 9 times in the 18C. Bowen was a map engraver who worked for George II and also Louis XV of France as a geographer. Finely engraved and produced with vignettes, panorama and inset text, this map was the most useful of the period, with additional details for travellers.
The county boundary is a pecked line. Hundreds are shown by a dotted line, and named in block letters. The hills are still shown in profile, shaded to the east, but they are more indicative of the actual terrain than on previous maps. Rivers are depicted by a double line, shaded grey, tapering upstream and named. Most market towns are depicted by a town plan. Borough towns have asterisks to denote the number of parliamentary representatives. There is also a symbol to show the number of ‘modern charity schools’. Villages are represented by a church with an R or V to show if they have a rector or a vicar and ancient religious houses have their own symbol. Parks continue to be shown by a paling fence and the residences within are mapped and named. Post stages are shown on the turnpikes and distances between towns are given. Commons, marshes, heaths and woods are all named. The surrounds are filled with notes of topographic and historical interest for individual towns and antiquities.
Cartographer: Robert MORDEN.
Size: 368 mm x 432 mm. Scale: approx. 1” = 5 miles.
Shropshire Archives ref: CM/2/6
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 188
Morden’s maps were noted for clear detail and fine engraving. This map was originally produced in 1695 as part of a new edition of William Camden’s Britannia, partly based on additional information from gentlemen of each county. It was reprinted five times in the 18C.
The county boundary is a pecked line, quite bold. Hundreds are marked with dotted lines, named in upright block letters. Major hills are drawn in profile, tinted brown, with shadows to the east. Rivers are shown as double lines, narrowing upstream and coloured blue. Settlements are marked by a circle and market towns have an additional depiction of a church and other buildings, tinted red. Shrewsbury is shown with a road layout. Castles are clearly drawn with 2 towers and a flagpole. Deer parks are shaded green, with a boundary of paling fence and forests are shown by groups of trees, on a base of lines representing grass. Bridges are shown by a double line or a gap in the river. For the first time roads are depicted (information taken from Ogilby’s road book of 1695) which makes it one of the most useful early maps of the county.
Back to county maps
Shropshyre Described, the Situation of Shrowesbury Shewed… 1611
the sittuation of Shrowesbury shewed, with the Armes of thos Earles, and other Memorable things
Cartographer: John SPEED
Size: map 135 mm x 130 mm; key an extra 80 mm x 60 mm. Scale: 1 inch = 200 paces (3 inches = 8 miles)
SA ref: CM/2/2
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 19
Published as part of an atlas, Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain, it was reprinted in five separate editions in the next 20 years. Speed was a historian and map-maker working in London in the early 17C. He moved in learned circles and this provided new historical sources, enabling him to add additional features to Saxton’s maps, although his work was generally to copy, adapt and compile. One of his most important contributions was the inclusion of town plans in one corner of his county maps, with a key to numbered streets and major buildings; for many towns they were the first visual record to be published. Another major addition was a small panel of historical text, in our case with a small picture of the Battle of Shrewsbury.
The maps were published in black and white and were then hand-coloured. The Shropshire map has an elaborate cartouche, compass rose and scale bar in vibrant colours and the hundreds are shaded in pastel colours. The primary purpose of Speed‘s maps was administration, both central and local. The county boundary is a fine dotted line, with the adjacent counties named. The Hundreds are added, clearly outlined and labelled in block letters. Hills and hillocks are drawn in profile, shaded yellow, with shadows to the east; continuous features, such as Wenlock Edge, are difficult to discern. Rivers are shown as black lines of varying thickness and named. Settlements are shown as a dot in a circle. A row of buildings is added to depict size and market towns are shaded in red. All are named in lower case in two sizes for villages and market towns. Castles, beacons, windmills and bridges are all shown. Deer parks have a boundary of paling fence and forests are depicted by groups of trees. There are no roads on this map.
Back to county maps
The County of Shropshire
THE COUNTY OF SHROPSHIRE
(Salopiae Comitatus summa cum fide, cura et diligentia descriptionem haec tibi tabula refert).
Cartographer: Christopher SAXTON.
Size: 510 mm x 380 mm. Scale: approx. 1 cm = 1 mile.
Shropshire Archives ref: CM/2/1. Reproduction in map chest in reading room.
Cowling ‘Printed Maps of Shropshire’ 1
In 1574 Saxton was commissioned by Thomas Seckford, an officer in Queen Elizabeth I’s court, to map all the counties of England and Wales, as an aid to national government. The resulting book was the first national atlas of provincial maps in the world and, in 1592, Lord Burghley remarked that every Secretary of State should have a copy. This map was part of that atlas. It was reprinted many times throughout the 17C and 18C, separately or in atlas form and remained the standard on which all county maps were based for 200 years.
The county boundary is marked clearly with a dotted line. Adjoining counties are named, but left blank. Hills are drawn in profile, shaded brown with shadows to the east; the end result is rather lumpy and it is difficult to get an impression of continuous features or the extent of the upland area. Rivers are shown by a double line, coloured blue and named. Settlements are depicted as a central dot in a circle and are named. Market towns have buildings around the dot and their names are in capitals. Villages have a church with a tower. Castles, windmills, beacons and river bridges are shown. Deer parks have a boundary of paling fence and forests are shown by groups of trees. There are no roads on this map.
Back to county maps